U21:Connect - December 2016
Welcome to this month's news from the Universitas 21 network.
U21:Connect contains the latest news and items of interest to staff and students across the Universitas 21 network.
Update on forthcoming network events
• Dates have now been confirmed for the annual Senior Leaders' Meeting which will take place on 18 - 20 October 2016 at Korea University.
• Programme planning for the event has now begun and further details will be made available at the earliest convenience next year.
• Preliminary information for the forthcoming AGM at the University of Nottingham is now available online.
• The event will take place on 3 - 5 May 2017 with registration opening in early January, hotel details and rates will be made available during that time.
• Further details are available via the link below:
U21 members receive Confucius Awards
• Four colleagues from four member universities have been awarded Confucius Institute Individual Performance Excellence Awards.
• Many congratulations to U21 colleagues Professor Andrew Deeks, President of UCD, Professor Jenny Dixon, the University of Auckland and Chair of the U21 Senior Leaders' Group, Professor Xi Junfang, UNSW Australia and Professor Natascha Gentz, The University of Edinburgh.
• Many congratulations also to the University of Glasgow for winning the 2016 Confucius Institute of the Year.
UBC Senior Leader elected to board of AIEA
• Professor Adel El Zaim, the University of British Columbia, has been elected to the AIEA board for a three year period starting in January.
• Professor El Zaim becomes the first AIEA board member from Canada as well as Chair of the AIEA Committee and member of the Editorial Committee.
• Many congratulations to Adel on his achievement from all at U21!
U21 Teaching Practices Survey (TPS) Project Update
• Following a presentation to the U21 Educational Innovation Conference in Birmingham in October 2016, several U21 institutions have indicated a desire to participate in the study which will be completed in early 2017. A copy of the presentation is available at http://bit.ly/2fH458S.
• In 2015 an initial eight U21 institutions took part in the TPS Project study, across all institutions, a total of 2,017 participants completed the survey, full details of which are available via the link below.
• The next steps on the project include asking members to provide a contact person at each institution to manage communication around publication/dissemination.
• Institutional data is available to participating institutions upon request, with identifiable metadata removed.
Research Collaboration Group workshops on US grant regulations
• US funders, particularly the National Institutes of Health (NIH), have a variety of opportunities for overseas researchers to collaborate and receive funding.
• The University of Maryland have put together a suite of training programmes for overseas partners on their roles and responsibilities when applying for and receiving US grant funding, as covered by the overarching US Uniform Guidance documentation.
• BRAKE (Borderless Research Administration Knowledge Exchange) workshops cover both pre and post award regulations and will give research administration staff a full overview of their responsibilities as a partner or sub-recipient of a US grant.
• Workshops have already taken place in Australia and the next workshops will take place at University College Dublin on 22-24 March 2017. This training is open to all relevant staff across our European partners.
• Further regional workshops will take place in 2017-18 to ensure all members have the opportunity to undertake this training.
• Further information can be found on the following website:
U21 Global Ingenuity Challenge 2017
• In conjunction with the University of Nottingham, U21 has launched the 2017 Global Ingenuity Challenge on the theme of ‘Promoting Cultural Inclusiveness in Society’.
• Each member university is invited to register at least one team for this online competition (U21 will cover the cost of the first team from each member).
• Confirmation of entry and details of an ingenuity facilitator contact must be provided to Bernice Molloy (email@example.com) by 15 February 2017.
• The challenge will run between 6 – 31 March 2017 and Prizes this year include an iPad Air 2 and Apple vouchers.
U21 Undergraduate Research Conference 2017
• The nomination deadline for the Undergraduate Research Conference has been extended to 31 March 2017.
• The University of Edinburgh will host the URC on 26 - 30 June 2017 with a theme of ‘Future Societies, Global Citizens’.
• For more information please contact Bernice Molloy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
People & Places
Auckland ranked the leading New Zealand institution for work-ready graduates
• UCD have announced it will team up with Irish/Swiss agri-food giant Origin Enterprises in a collaborative digital research partnership worth over €17m.
• The partnership will see UCD and Origin create innovative new crop models that will be driven by real-time data.
• Professor Orla Feely, UCD vice-president for research, innovation and impact - said the deal represented a huge step forward for farming research in Ireland.
• The initiative will be geared towards the development of sustainable crop performance through the use of predictive intelligence technologies and the partnership will be run in conjunction with Science Foundation Ireland (SFI).
Korea University breaks ground on innovative SK Future Hall
• The seven-level - 27, 350 square meter building will provide innovate learning spaces for students, including 111 seminar and group rooms, and 111 individual study spaces.
• The number of these facilities was intentional, to commemorate the 111th anniversary of Korea University (1905-2016).
• As part of Korea University's efforts to enhance and innovate the student learning process, the SK Future Hall will be the first facility for students at Korea University with no traditional classrooms, but instead will feature rooms for debates, group projects, research and individual study spaces and is set to open in 2018.
Follow Universitas 21 on Social Media
• To follow U21 on Twitter, please click the Twitter link below or search for @U21news on Twitter or via #U21Network.
• Connect with U21 and colleagues from across the network on LinkedIn by searching for Universitas 21 or by following the link below.
• You can now follow us on Chinese social media platform WeChat - scan the QR Code below using your smartphone or tablet device and receive updates directly.
Stay connected with U21 and follow the link below to subscribe to our monthly U21:Connect updates and U21:Discover newsletter: