U21:Connect - October 2015
Welcome to this month's news from the Universitas 21 network.
U21:Connect contains the latest news and items of interest to staff and students across the Universitas 21 network.
U21 Students invited to speak at Nelson Mandela Foundation lecture in Johannesburg
- The University of Johannesburg has been invited to co-host the acclaimed Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture, organised by the Nelson Mandela Foundation.
- The lecture was given by Professor Thomas Piketty, the acclaimed French economist of economic inequality.
- UJ and the Nelson Mandela Foundation invited students from U21 members to take part in this lecture through video link.
U21 Rankings lead invited to speak at Singapore meeting
- Professor Ross Williams, lead author of the reports on the Universitas 21 Ranking of National Higher Education Systems, has been invited to speak at a one-day meeting in Singapore.
- The event, entitled ‘Measuring Quality Outcomes in Higher Education’ has been co-organised by the Australian government, the European Commission and the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE).
- The meeting will take place on 16 October and provides another platform to raise still further the profile of our ranking of national systems.
U21 heads to South Africa for Annual Managers' Meeting and Workshop on African Higher Education
- The U21 Managers' Meeting 2015 takes place next week from 14-16 October.
- Opening the meeting on Wednesday 14 October, the University of Johannesburg are to host a Workshop on African Higher Education, with
- For anyone that still wishes to attend the event, registration is still open - please follow the link below for more information.
U21 EI Conference heads to Edinburgh this month!
- The U21 Educational Innovation Workshop and Conference takes place at the University of Edinburgh between the 28-30 October.
- This year's theme is "Using the Digital to Capture the International in Teaching & Learning."
New U21 SOC in development!
- Development is underway for a new U21 Shared Online Course (U21 SOC). Colleagues from University College Dublin will be providing an update to participants at the U21 Educational Innovation Workshop taking place from the 28-30 October, highlighting the exciting progress and plans for this new initiative.
Teaching Indicators data to be presented
- A presentation and analysis of data on the U21 Educational Innovation Teaching Indicators project will be part of the U21 EI Workshop on 28th October.
U21 3MT® Competition open for votes from Monday 12 October!
- With all U21 Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) videos being submitted, the competition will open for votes on Monday 12 October.
- Following a successful launch in 2013, the U21 3MT® competition will pit the leading presenters from 19 members against one another,
- First developed by the University of Queensland in 2008, 3MT® provides doctoral students with the opportunity to develop their communication skills by explaining their research to an intelligent but no-specialist audience.
- Each participating member has held their own internal 3MT® competition and selected a local winner who is then put forward for the U21 final.
RE Cluster Meeting 2016 update
- Next year’s RE cluster meetings will take place from Monday 2 May to Wednesday 4 May 2016 at the University of Maryland, a change from the dates published earlier to take account of a major high-profile event taking place there later in the week.
- The first day (2 May) will be a cluster workshop organised by the Deans and Directors of Graduate Studies (DDoGS) group, followed by business meetings on the following two days (3 and 4 May) for that group as well as the Research Leaders’ Group, before a final cluster-wide meeting.
New development project around quality standards in student mobility gets underway
- A new project has been started to develop a set of criteria focusing on “What constitutes a quality mobility experience?”
- This work will include guidance on student support, risk management and credit transfer, among others. Expressions of interest in being part of the task group are welcome.
U21 Summer School 2016 update
- The U21 Summer School will be hosted on 4-18 July by Shanghai Jiao Tong University with the theme Traditional Chinese Medicine and its Culture.
- Participants will also have the opportunity to take part in SJTU’s very successful MOOC on traditional Chinese medicine.
Undergraduate Research Conference theme announced
- The Undergraduate Research Conference will be hosted by Tecnológico de Monterrey on 11-16 July, with the subject “A Global Perspective on Ageing Societies”.
- Three undergraduate students and one academic member of staff from each member institution are invited to participate in the conference.
People and places
New Researcher Engagement Cluster Manager Announced!
- A new Cluster Manager for Researcher Engagement has been appointed to join the U21 Secretariat.
- Dr Christina Mellor is set to join the team in Birmingham from the University of Nottingham, will take over the post from Secretary General Jane Usherwood.
- Dr Mellor is familiar with the Universitas 21 network, having attended Researcher Collaborations Group meetings.